Thursday, September 17, 2009

Autism, Laughter & Speeding TIckets

From medicine to clowning: Ron Jenkins was a pre-med student with the goal to become a child psychiatrist when he changed his course to comedy. Ode Magazine highlights Ron in an article about how laughter can set people free.

Ron’s turning point was when he was working with a child with autism who never spoke, except to repeat words spoken to him, and never made eye contact. Yet Ron’s comical, silly, joking gestures broke through a barrier. The child started looking into his eyes and began initiating words!

Laughter is the ultimate universal language. When you can’t get through to someone any other way, laughter paves a road to connection. We all respond to laughter.

I recall an incident of being pulled over on the road by a police officer for driving over the speed limit. It was a residential area unfamiliar to me, near a school. I was simply ignorant and didn’t see the reduce speed signs. The officer was being extremely condescending and disrespectful until I told him I was on the way to a chiropractor for a problem with my leg. Somehow this broke the ice, causing him to joke about my lead foot needing healing. The opportunity to make a joke caused him to lighten up. My ever-ready laughter only helped more. He let me off without a ticket and I forgave him his attitude. In the end we bonded over our little joke.

Photo: Stock.xchnge

No comments: