Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Lose Weight Laughing?


The oxtail stew at the Caribbean restaurant was so tenderly delicious it made my goat entrée seem a bit 2nd rate, but just a bit. The dark greens at the Sicilian restaurant were swimming in an anchovy garlic broth that sent me into a spin of ecstasy. And the lamb shank at the Turkish restaurant, which the owner told us took 3 days to cook, was immersed in a sauce so amazing it was hard not to lick the plate.

I love to eat. Almost as much as I love to laugh. I consider it one of life’s greatest pleasures.

I’m a member of a fun, lively, prolific dinner group and I’m having a blast. But simultaneously I am shocked to discover I’ve outgrown some of my clothes. Refusing to become an overweight American, I need to do something quick to reverse this.

People sometimes ask me if it’s possible to lose weight laughing since laughter is aerobic exercise. I'll reference the one study done on this topic.

At Vanderbilt University in Nashville Dr. Buchowski found that a daily 15 minute laughter workout can burn 40 calories and melt away 4 pounds over one year.

But really I think it’s simply a matter of eating less and getting on the treadmill. That’s my plan.

Photo: Wikimedia: Hotei/Japanese Laughing Buddha

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ya ha yumm! what restaurant should we do next? :-) oh that's no help huh

Teresa said...

Ha-ha-ha