Saturday, March 23, 2013

Mr. L made me Laugh and Laugh



Mr. L was a good friend’s father.  When I was in high school.  And in spirit he took on that role that my own father left behind when he left this world –  caring for me in those ways that men do –  with cars.  And caring for me emotionally.  Though I didn’t fully realize it at the time.

Mr. L gave me so much laughter.  And I suppose I him as well.  Though he was only laughing on the inside.  But I knew he was laughing.  

The standard vignette:

I’m 17 and driving my own car.  Amazing.  I drive up to my friend's house.  Mr. L comes charging out the front door, all focus and determination.  He’s going to save me from my ignorant automotive self.  I’m ordered to pop the hood that he then promptly opens.  The lecture begins.   OMG – the fluids are low!  Have I seen how dirty the air filter is?!!  My tires need more air.  It’s a cross between a lecture and a tirade.  But a tirade thick with love and one that made me laugh endlessly.  Even as a teenager I could feel the love.  The car inspection from Mr. L every, absolutely every, time I pulled up to my friend’s house.

It’ a memory of love and laughter that I now cherish.

Thank you Mr. L for being there for me and for all the laughter that I so much needed.

Photo:  Stock.xchnge

No comments: